June is Great Outdoors Month and our Bronx REACH CHAMPS program is celebrating local parks and open spaces. A great example of how community action can drive change happened at Soundview Park. Find out more in our profile of the park in our latest newsletter below.
Included is a calendar of upcoming events. We invite you to send information about your happenings to
BCHN 2016-17 Board of Directors
Eduardo Alayon, LMSW
Wanda Abeyllez, MPA
Sandra Piggee, LCSW
David Fletcher, Ph.D.
Marjorie Cadogan, JD
Gladys Beaulieu, BA
Florence Criscuolo, BA
Arthur G. Edwards, MPA
Victor Quarshie, BSc
John Ruiz, BLA
John Sibiski, BSc, BA
A panel discussion was moderated by Jay Izes, MD, Chief Medical Officer/Quality Improvement Director. The panelists shared their thoughts on the integration of oral health with primary medical care. The example of pediatricians applying fluoride varnish to the primary (baby) teeth was cited. The possibility of having dentists screen adult patients for diabetes and/or hypertension was also discussed.
* Peter F. Belamarich, MD, MPH, Chief, Division of Academic General Pediatrics - Children’s Hospital at Montefiore, Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics - Albert Einstein College of Medicine
* Noel C. Brown, MD, MBA, Director of Performance Improvement & Regional Medical Director, Montefiore Medical Group
* Sharon Distant Johnson, DMD, General Dentistry, Comprehensive Health Care Center (CHCC), Montefiore Medical Group
* Julie Kazimiroff, DDS, MS, FAGD, FACD, Cert.Ed., Director, Community Dentistry and Health Promotion - Department of Dentistry, Montefiore Medical Center
Awards were presented in multiple categories.
Community Health Service Award:
* Gladys Beaulieu, BA, Board Member, BCHN Board of Directors
Community Health Leadership Award:
* Richard Thomas, Vice-President, BCHN Board of Directors
Community Health Center Leadership Awards:
* Joseph P. DeLuca, MD, Associate Division Chief of Division of General Internal Medicine, Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine & Medical Director, Comprehensive Health Care Center (CHCC) – Montefiore Medical Center (accepted by Noel C. Brown, MD)
* Victoria Gorski, MD – Associate Clinical Professor Family and Social Medicine, Family Health Center (FHC), Montefiore Medical Center
* Peter Marcus, MD – Family Physician, Claremont Family Health Center, Acacia Network/PROMESA Systems, Inc.
* Sharon Edwards–Bandyopadhyay, MBA, Chief Financial Officer, BCHN
June 26/July 16 - LGBT Pride Celebrations
BCHN's Engage-NYC team will be celebrating Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning – or LGBTQ – Pride Month by marching with the Montefiore Medical Group team during the Heritage of Pride event on June 26 in Manhattan, as well as in the Bronx Pride parade on July 16.
August 7-13 - National Health Center Week
The theme for National Health Center Week 2016 (NHCW) is "Celebrating America's Health Centers: Innovators in Community Health." BCHN will be hosting multiple events during the week, including a recognition dinner on Thursday, August 11 (more details coming soon), and a health fair on Saturday, August 13 outside Fordham Plaza from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
To learn about upcoming events and location check out the BCHN
events page, or to arrange for BCHN representatives to be at your upcoming event,